McDonald’s – As We Say Goodbye to King Albert Park

[Updated: McDonald’s King Albert Park will cease operations 16th March 2014, Sunday 23:59 hours. Go take your photos there!]

If you have not heard, King Albert Park fondly known as K.A.P has been sold to Oxley Holdings for $150 million. That would mean all seven units, including the favourites Cold Storage, Island Creamery and yes, McDonald’s at KAP would be closing and saying goodbye.

Online voices are not too happy about it – that an “iconic 20 year place” is going to be turned into another condominium; that they are losing part of their memories; and this is coming right after the closure of East Coast Park.

To many, they do not understand the “sadness” and fuss… Good riddance to another fast food restaurant. But there is another group of people who feels lost about the fate of this “heritage site”.

I digged out my old photos taken at King Albert Park for your amusement

We belong to the Generation Y. Many of whom grew up studying in McDonalds throughout their teenage years, perhaps also where we celebrated our childhood birthdays, had our first Happy Meals, queued up for the Millennium Hello Kitty… where we spent our tears and joys. And we already lost those at Far East Plaza and East Coast.

The NP, HCJC, NJC, ACJC, CHS, NYGS, and MGS students can perhaps identify more.

Taken when I was 17. The McDonald’s figurines are still there!

The nostalgic KAP McDonalds is where I spent many days studying my A’s, where I would hang out after tiring choir practices slurping on large coke and piled up fries, and also where I had one of my first date!

The other spectrum of the population may not be able to understand. Perhaps they can if Orchard Cineleisure would to give way to an ERP one day.

I went back to have some Spicy Nuggets (Yes, the McNuggets is more delicious than the normal ones, except I missed the old curry sauce). The environment feels almost the same with families chit-chatting in an friendly and open two-storey environment, and students enjoying their bonding together. The manager actually came up to small-talk with me.

I am ready to let KAP go. But I do wonder about growing up in a country where I do not recognise the buildings around anymore.

McDonalds
11 King Albert Park #01-01,#01-02 & #01-05 McDonald’s Place Singapore 598292 Tel: +65 6564 4881
Opening Hours: 24 hours (Fri-Sat), 5.30am – 2am (Sun – Thu)
Last Day: 16th March 2014, Sunday 23:59

Other Related Entries
When CNY is not just about Prosperity
McDonald’s Chicken McGrill
Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits (Airport T3)
ChicKing (Marina Square)
Wendy’s (Lau Pa Sat)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “McDonald’s – As We Say Goodbye to King Albert Park”

1. April 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

woah, quite sad it’s closing down.

2. April 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

hahaha! Yea, I’ll be sad if island creamery is gone. I just realized the both of us were talking about Macs on the same day! hahah! Nice!!!

• admin
      April 14, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Island Creamery there will also be going. I know there are many Cold Storage fans as well.

3. April 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

KAP McDonald’s is closing! so sad!

4. April 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

KAP is closing. Bye Cold Storage, McDs, Island Creamery, and fond school time memories.. http://t.co/ggaCaTlP

5. April 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

http://t.co/7EQnuDPW Not that I frequent there often, but it’s still just sad.

6. synapseman
    April 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

“But I do wonder about growing up in a country where I do not recognise the buildings around anymore.” – SPOT ON! I feel exactly the same!

7. Karen
    April 14, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Hi do you know when is its last day of operation?

• admin
      April 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Not so soon yet I think. Because the sales would only go through end June.

8. Serene
    April 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

KAP macdonalds is another iconic building after East coast park.. 1st 24h cold storage in Singapore… Everything seems to start demolishing and disappearing…wondering will there be a place to rekindle fond memories and to show my kids in the future…

9. Veronica
    April 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Another fav space KAP soon to be out of sight. Many have fond memories there. So many other places are torn down already just to make the developers richer and singaporeans left without much open spaces. Hearts torn apart that built this city. KAP is not as worn off as Turf City and yet the company managing Turf City is “refurbishing” that place. Wonder what’s next on KAP site??? Sigh!!! Sad!!!

10. April 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

So…next to go is KAP?! http://t.co/rhdFcHJ6 Srsly, got no other place is it?!

11. April 20, 2012 at 2:28 am #

huh!!? another mac closing…? wow.. sad.. i love those characters there..must go take photo soon~!~~~ sob. sob.

• admin
      April 20, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Yes, you don’t see those character figures that much anymore.

12. anonymous
    April 21, 2012 at 11:57 am #

hello! when is your interview going to be aired on Channel 8? Which program is that? Keeping my eyes peeled! =D

• admin
      April 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Hi, it’s likely to be 6:30pm news – But I am not watching. I can’t stand seeing myself on TV! 😀

13. 俊雄
    April 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

“But I do wonder about growing up in a country where I do not recognise the buildings around anymore.” – Can’t agree more…

14. May 18, 2013 at 12:12 am #

I guess out with the old and in with the new.

The development will be launched soon.

15. Gurmit
    May 23, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

Don’t worry guys if all goes well who knows McDonalds may reopen here :)
    For ur next generation …
    And also for a limited time only we are all getting a chance to own a part of this heritage & iconic site

16. February 18, 2014 at 4:56 am #

its been a fact, I have been working outside Singapore for a couple of years now. Last week sadly, my grandmother passed on and I had to rush back to singapore to attend her wake.

During this trip, I do not have much time to explore around Singapore but still took to the nostalgic Orchard road (not to be missed). I was shocked in just a matter of 3 years (or 2), orchard road was no longer what it used to be, buildings have changed.

Not speaking about other parts of Singapore I grew up in, they have just being removed and added with new features. Such as Orchard Park, John Little and the Kent Ridge park. Just a small stretch of orchard road has changed so much. Somehow, In my humble opinion, Singapore has changed to be better but forgot that there are some places of history that are meant to be preserved (since they have been operating for generations). There must be a better way to preserve the past and also accept the future.

Sadly, these memories means nothing much to developers and governments alike and for the benefits of someone's pocket. these memories are forced to be lost with no choice.

17. February 18, 2014 at 4:58 am #

18. February 18, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Went there often with my friends to study too.. maybe we should go back in our uniforms to do a PS haha. Bye bye KAP. Much love from an Old Girl.

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

19. wang
    February 18, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

What can we do about it? NOTHING !!! :(

You’re tearing our home apart !

20. February 18, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Last time ECP, now KAP:(.. This is damn sad!!

21. john
    February 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

Time to get out of this country.

22. February 18, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Before KAP there should another structure, land or memories. Everything we remember is built on something that was destroyed for others. Such is life, we can try to make better memories or keep memories, like heritage buildings.

I think you’re overreacting a bit. The Singapore that you remember might have been someone’s Singapore that they don’t recognise anymore.

23. Heng Hui Jie
    February 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

It's sad that Singaporeans will have one less place to identify with. Are they also going to close down Far East Plaza as stated in your post?

24. February 19, 2014 at 9:01 am #

McDonald’s King Albert Park – The BEST outlet that I’ve ever worked in & I’m very proud to say that I’m one of the Pioneer Crew Leader that helped to train the pioneer crews for a smooth opening on Jun 1991!

Working round the clock to clean up the store; running like blue housefly behind the counter serving thousands of people; working in the kitchen preparing burgers & World Famous Fries; in the lobby clearing tons of thrash; washing the balls from the ball pit at playplace; cleaning the Tran track that used to run along the lobby; scrubbing the drive-tru lanes; etc… …

Although tough, but we had so much fun. No one will understand how much we have been tru with her!

25. February 19, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

sigh…

26. Hulk Mni
    February 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

the problem there isn't lots of locals there. Mainly foreigners stay around that area. Korean, white people they all there. The only locals there were just students from NP and sec sch. It sad the government is doin for the foreigners

27. February 20, 2014 at 7:56 am #

I remember there was a time when it had a toy train running around the restaurant via tracks hanging off the ceiling and a fairly decent sized playground for kids. A fair number of students from NYPS patronise there too. i know this for a fact because I used to harass my parents to take me there after school on the way home.

28. March 14, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

This is so sad!!

I am a foreigner (I don’t care if you don’t like it) but I call Singapore home. Just so happens mid last year I came across KAP by accident. You see, I don’t really frequent Bukit Timah area but that day, I had a meeting around the area. After work, I was just walking, trying to find my way to a bus stop when I suddenly found myself in front of this building that was reminiscent of the ’80s / ’90s.

I don’t know how to explain it but there was a sense of nostalgia that washed me over, even though I didn’t grow up frequenting the building. I remember that afternoon vividly; it felt very lazy and sleepy, with the gentle golden glow of the sunlight and with not much tall buildings around (except for one new apartment building casting an ugly shadow on an otherwise perfect surroundings).

As there were some retail signs such as Cold Storage and McD, I reckoned the building should be some kind of mall and I made a mental note to visit it later but somehow never found the time until suddenly I read the news. Terrible. And then I saw the image of the proposed development and I just wanted to barf.

Why can’t the govt preserve that area so that no tall buildings can be erected there? I bet the unit price there is sky high. I can’t afford it, most Singaporeans can’t afford it. Only the super duper rich who don’t care $h*t can afford it.

29. Chee
    March 16, 2014 at 10:46 am #

KAP has to go for the betterment of the future Singapore. 8 mil is coming to town so PAP need to make these people feel at home. The ONLY way to do that is to get rid of your common knowledge and way life. This is the new pigtails for us.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Modernisation or Conservation? - April 18, 2013

[…] of the adult’s childhood are disappearing. This is worrying; as many are afraid they may no longer be able to recognise the buildings in the place they once grew up in. It is a pity that future generations can no […]

2. Modernisation or Conservation? - April 18, 2013

[…] adults are disappearing, but redeveloping rapidly.  This is worrying; many are afraid they may no longer be able to recognise the buildings in the place they once grew up in. It is a pity that future generations can no […]

3. Saint Crispin | What's my next meal? - February 20, 2014

[…] to share an interest in good food. Haha gone are the teen days of hanging out over fast food (King Albert Park McDonald’s anyone?) and hawker centre food! And in a foodie city like Melbourne with so many different […]

4. Farewell to King Albert Park – a place of memories for our youth | the new era - March 17, 2014

[…] Read the rest of the article by Daniel’s Food Blog here: McDonald’s – As We Say Goodbye to King Albert Park […]

5. 5 Stalls We Loved At Lavender Food Square. And Where They Have Gone - DanielFoodDiary.com - October 3, 2014

[…] 031014] Sad. Many Singaporeans have experienced this sense of loss, from the closing of King Albert Park, Long House Food Centre, to the very popular Lavender Food […]