Soi 55 – Thai Iced Tea Specialty Stall at Golden Shoe

There was Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee, Soi 60 Thai Restaurant, and now a Soi 55 Thai Ice Tea stall.

The stall is so named due to the famous Sukhumvit Soi 55 street known for its exciting nightlife and cafe cultre, and 55 means ‘haha’ in Thai. You know that?

I have a heart for this stall at Golden Shoe – local start-up, opened by a young couple (one working, the other still studying), selling my favourite Cha Yen, and this is despite them not being Thais. The story of overcoming odds.

Soi 55 had been operating as a pop-up stall at local farmers’ markets and private events, and eventually found a space and settled down at a hawker stall at Golden Shoe Food Centre.

There are 4 basic drinks on sale, Thai Milk Tea, Milk Coffee, Rose Milk Tea, and Green Milk Tea ($2.50) with various toppings of sago (50c), pearls (30c) and red ruby (70c). Red rubies are chestnut in tapioca flour.

Of all, my personal favourite was still the original cha-yen. If you must know, I would order a glass every day when in Thailand.

Soi 55’s cha-yen is quite close to what I drank Sawadee-land, much better than diluted versions that many supposed Thai restaurants in Singapore serve.

There are distinct differences though, Soi 55’s version is less milky, a lot less sweet, and no crushed ice. (Somehow I am too used to Thai drinks with half portions of crushed ice.)

My guess is they wanted to suit the taste to local markets. Perhaps because the owners are just starting out, they try to incorporate customers’ feedback. Most OLs would request for ‘siu dai’, or less sugar (waan noi / mai waan maag). Though that’s not quite the real thing.

Rose Milk Tea with Red Ruby combination is my next favourite, and the hot versions ($2.30) are worth a try as they are more authentic tasting. I though the Green Milk Tea could do with more intense flavour, and Milk Coffee (kah-feh yen) needed further kick.

Soi 55’s drinks are promising. With some fine-tuning, I think they can grab the taste that we always crave for.

Soi 55
#02-19, 50 Market Street, Golden Shoe Food Centre, Singapore 048940
Tel: +65 90604594
Opening Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm (Mon-Fri)

Other Related Entries
Soi 60 (Robertson Quay)
Sawadee Thai Cuisine (Bugis)
Chang Thai 151 (Bishan)
Folks Collective (China Square)
Rochor Thai (Joo Chiat)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Soi 55 – Thai Iced Tea Specialty Stall at Golden Shoe”

1. Kelly
    August 21, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

Just try their iced green milk tea with red ruby($3.20) today, one word to describe horrible. The girl actually fill up the whole cup of ice to the brim and little red ruby as compare to the picture as uploaded in this post. To be fair, the drink taste pretty good and unique. But no one will pay so much for a cup of ice.

• August 21, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Hi Kelly, we’re sorry to hear that!

We were really packed today so apologies for the slip up (we usually do give more rubies!).

To clarify the red colour you see in this post is partly the rose syrup as well.

Anyhow, do come down again and we’ll get you more rubies, on us this time!

Hope you have a better experience with us the next time!

Cheers,
      The Soi 55 Team

2. Sarah Tan
    August 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

I love this place! The color is so appetizing and the taste is unique. Will definitely go back for my Thai iced tea fix.

• admin
      August 24, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Great that you liked it Sarah.

3. Emily
    August 23, 2014 at 12:46 am #

Went there today with my girlfriends and we all enjoyed our drinks so much! Definitely will come back for more during my lunch breaks and the location is so convenient for all those working in the area!!!

• admin
      August 24, 2014 at 7:54 am #

Have to beat the heat though. What else do you like from Golden Shoe?

4. Sam
    August 24, 2014 at 12:02 am #

I totally need to drink this every day. Thai milk tea, hot. :)

• admin
      August 24, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Yup, I liked their hot version better.

5. David
    October 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Great tea! One sip and wah lah!! I’m in Thailand!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Café Pal - Modern Thai Cafe with Iced Thai Bubble Tea | DanielFoodDiary.com - August 30, 2014

[…] Related Entries Soi 55 (Golden Shoe) Chang Thai 151 (Bishan) Nara Thai Cuisine (Ion Orchard) Soi 60 (Robertson Quay) Sawadee Thai […]

2. Pong Gelato – Thai Style Coconut Gelato With Sorbet In A Husk - DanielFoodDiary.com - January 8, 2015

[…] Related Entries Juicy Slush (Scape) Soi 55 (Golden Shoe) Café Pal (Middle Road) Ice Queen (East Coast Road) Honey Comb (Bali […]